We are quickly approaching our biggest part of the school year for our groups. We are now in preparation for our UIL performance. UIL (University Interscholastic League) hosts the statewide Concert and Sight Reading Festivals. This performance is basically our version of the STAAR test, but it is based on performance of prepared music and on the performance of a piece the students have never seen before that we must silently learn in 7 minutes.
In order to prepare for this performance the students will:
- Continue to meet in section rehearsals weekly
- Perform two pre-UIL Concerts (see ‘Performances’)
- Continue to work daily in class on the prepared music and sight reading skills
- Practice individually 5-6 days per week to develop personal mastery.
- Maintain at least a 70 in all classes at all times
The Concerts will be held at the High School on:
- March 4 (5-8pm) – more specific details will be available soon
- March 22 (6:30-8:30pm) – students will be involved from 6:30 until the conclusion of the concert.
Specific details will emailed through Charms as soon as we have them.
The attire for all of these concerts is Concert Black (solid black dress clothes and shoes.) It is vital that the students meet this uniform requirement. Please avoid jeans of any kind. Any ladies preferring to wear dresses must have a dress past the knee or be wearing opaque black leggings. Shoes must be close-toed.
We appreciate your support and the behind the scenes work you do to help our students make the band successful! I am excited for you to hear the progress the students have made.