Parents and band members – it’s been a great week for the Piner Band! Let’s look at some of our upcoming events and other information.
Piner Band in the News!
If you picked up the Sherman Herald Democrat this weekend, you may have seen an article featuring the Piner Band! The article included information about upcoming Piner events, as well as a picture of members of the Piner Band percussion section.
A copy of the article and more pictures can be found at the Sherman ISD Home Page on the left sidebar. Keep sharing pictures and information about the Piner Band so that the whole community can know about the great things we’re doing here.
You can always send your pictures to Mr. Anderson or Mr. Edmonson via e-mail.
Practice at Home
This is the weekly reminder to continue home practice. We’ve seen the results of increased practice in class, and the more minutes and hours they put in, the better we’re going to be as a group.
Remember that we ask for at least 15 minutes of practice every day – more if possible. Members of Honors Band are preparing for their All Region Band auditions and should be working on that music as well as scales.
If you’d like to know what your student should be practicing, or would like more for them to practice, please let us know!
Piner Night @ SHS
On Friday, October 10th, members of Honors and Symphonic Band will join the Sherman High School Band at their football game vs. McKinney High. The Piner Band will perform in the stands during the first three quarters, as well as cheer on the Sherman High School Bearcat Band during half time.
The schedule will be as follows:
- 5:15 – Percussion meets at Band Hall to move equipment
- 5:30 – All Piner Band students meet at the Piner Field House in their band shirts
- 5:45 – Dinner with the SHS Band
- 6:20 – Piner students return to band hall to get instruments
- 6:45 – Line up with SHS Band to march into Bearcat Stadium
- 7:30 – Sherman vs. McKinney High game begins
- 8:30 – Halftime performance by the SHS Bearcat Band
- 8:50 – Piner Band performs during the 3rd quarter
- 9:30 – Piner students are dismissed and may return to the band hall to put away instruments
Since the Piner students will be sitting with the SHS Band, all parents are asked to sit in the section directly next to the band and NOT with the band.
Piner Band Trip to Region Marching Contest
On Saturday, October 11, Piner Band members have the opportunity to travel with the Sherman HS band to their marching contest. This event is not mandatory, but we encourage as many members as possible to come along and cheer the band on! The information sheet for this event will be passed out in class today; it can also be found here.
The schedule will be as follows:
- 12:30pm – Meet at the Sherman High School Band Hall to watch rehearsal and eat lunch.
- 2:00pm – Load the busses to go to Clark Stadium in Plano, TX.
- 3:15pm – Arrive at stadium and go into stands as a group.
- 4:45pm – Watch the Sherman High School Band!
- 5:15pm – Listen for the contest results.
- 5:30pm – Load busses and return to Sherman.
- 6:30pm – Arrive back at Sherman High School.
If your young musician would like to go, please have them bring $5 in cash and the bottom of the information sheet by Wednesday, October 1.
As of this morning, we have 11 spots left for the trip – if your student would like to go and haven’t turned in their money yet, please do so as soon as possible.
Piner Football Game
The Piner Honors and Symphonic Bands will play at the Piner football game on Tuesday, October 14th. The schedule will be as follows:
- 5:00pm – Students will meet at the Piner Band Hall. Instrument cases will be left in the band hall.
- 5:15pm – All students will walk to the stadium. Getting students seated will be chaotic at the first game, so please arrive early. We will begin playing promptly at 6:00pm.
- 7:30pm – Students will be dismissed. Parents will end to pick up students at the Band Hall or arrange for their child to get a ride with another student. Members are encouraged to bring cell phones, but they will need to remain off and out of sight during the performance. If parents choose for their children to remain at the game after 7:30, Mr. Anderson and Mr. Edmonson will not be there to supervise them.